The Course will provide students with the essential knowledge, skills and practical experience to successfully be familiar with the Sequence of Orthodontics. The student will learn to describe the types of malocclusions, discuss corrective orthodontics, describe the types of treatment involved and perform procedures to assist the Orthodontist.
This Course is designed to give the basic terminology, knowledge and skills to an individual wanting to become an Entry Level Orthodontic Dental Assistant (no experience required) or to expand the skills of an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant.
We have collaborated with local Orthodontists to train students in exactly what the Orthodontist would want you to know before hiring an Entry Level Orthodontic Dental Assistant.
This Course is all Hands-On Training in Orthodontic Procedures.
- 4 hours per week for 6 weeks
- No books, No tests
Please Note: This Course is for the training of Entry Level Orthodontic Procedures; it does not provide a “State Certification for Orthodontics” in Florida. Florida does not require a separate Certification for Orthodontic Dental Assistants. In Florida, having an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant Certification covers all specialties of Dentistry. Some dentists may ask for an EFDA Certification upon hiring, some dentists do not, that is up to the dentist.
Upon completion of the course the dental assistant will be trained to:
- Taking preliminary and post treatment photographs
- Selecting and pre-sizing orthodontic bands
- Selecting and pre-sizing archwires prescribed by dentist
- Selecting extra-oral appliances by pre-selection or pre-measurement
- Preparing a tooth surface with conditioning agents for orthodontic appliances
- Removing and recementing properly contoured and fitting loose bands that are not permanently attached to any appliance
- Making impressions for study models which are made for the purpose of fabricating orthodontic retainers
- Placing or removing prescribed pre-treatment separators
- Securing or unsecuring an archwire by attaching or removing the fastening device
- Removing excess cement from orthodontic appliances with non-mechanical hand instruments only
- Place a lingual bar retainer